Vesa Salmi has published two albums for the Finnish indie label Humble House Records (www.humblehouserecords.com) in 2008 (Asfalttigolgata, Asphalt Golgata) and 2010 (Kontulankaari, i.e. name of the street where Vesa lived his teens, in the east side of Helsinki). Both of these albums are available for free listening in Spotify, and for purchase in iTunes.
The third album Uraputki is published December 2013 by Finalmix Records. Available also in iTunes. The genre or style – or attitude – can perhaps be best described as a sort of outlaw country in Finnish language, with rock, bluegrass and folk music influence. The catch, however, lies in the quality and content of lyrics.
Please find samples of live performances and recorded songs e.g. in this Youtube link. The clip was shot during the previous lineup but he sound and overall feel does not differ significantly from the current one. In MySpace you’ll find some audio samples from my first two records.
Vesa does gigs mostly with Tipi Tuovinen, also solo.
The lineup 2013:
- Vesa Salmi – vocals & guitar.
- Tipi Tuovinen, guitars, background vocals. Tipi is the procucer of the upcoming third record and the musical leader of the band – he has hand-picked the rest of the musicians. During his long career, Tipi has either recorded, mixed or produced about 350 albums and has been in charge of audio productions to many Finnish feature films, including Ganes and Rukajärven tie (Ambush). Tipi is one of the top audio producers in music and cinema in Finland, and he teaches audio production in several art academies.
- Harri Nyman, guitars, banjo, background vocals. Harri has formerly played in the widely popular band Aknestik, among others. Currently, he works as a music teacher in a high school in Helsinki metropolitan area.
- Kari Mäkimartti, bass. In addition to his musicianship, Kari works as an engineer building custom audio equipment for individual musicians and audio productions, focusing on high-end custom amplifiers for acoustic and electric guitars and basses.
- Markus Ketola, drums, on Vesa’s third album Uraputki ja hyvä Lääkitys, and on gigs when possible. Markus is the drummer of UMO Jazz Orchestra, and a prominent jazz composer. Markus has published three solo albums and played drums on over twenty albums with UMO and others.